Sunday, November 23, 2008

Adios Old Mustang, We Hardly Knew Ye

Except for the engine and transmission, I've done all that I can (or want to) do. It's time to put her in the capable hands of a trusted, trained, and experienced professional for the heavy-duty work.

After checking out the local vintage Mustang scene here around Chicago, soliciting advice from some of its members, and a couple of shop visits, I've decided to outsource the rust exorcism to Mustang Restorations in Dundee, IL (about 30-40 miles northwest of my home in Chicago).



So yesterday morning the tow truck showed up promptly at 9AM and I wheeled the car into the alley (it was amazing how light and easy it was to maneuver by myself without any engine, transmission, or innards), and off she went.


"Where are you taking me now?"

Below is how my newly emptied garage now looks (time for a little cleanup):



At any given time, it looks like Mustang Restorations has about 20-30 cars at various stages of restoration or fixup, not exclusively Mustangs but clearly the vast majority. Chris, the proprietor (shown below in the white lab coat wheeling my car into his shop), clearly knows what he's doing and knows every screw and bolt on any 60s-70s Mustang. He even had a Mustang II in his shop (Yikes!).



Chris will take his time over the next few months (everyone I've talked to has stressed patience in this process) and remove/replace any rusted components, including the rocker frame rails, quarter panels, floor, torque boxes, battery fender apron, wheel wells, blah blah blah.

With any luck (and a few dollars less in my bank account), next Spring I should have a newly reconstructed car with zero rust, a painted engine compartment (we'll save the car painting for last) ready to plug in my newly rebuilt engine, transmission, and interior.

I know, I'm making it sound a lot simpler than it's going to be, but a guy can dream, can't he?

No comments: